Monday 7 December 2009

What's it all about Alfie? Know what I mean?

Today I was graced with some cockney accent in a very nice first edition of Alfie. I say first edition but I actually mean the only version available: Michael Caine's version. It's perfect and I haven't a thing to say except: it's perfect. Watch it. And listen to Barbra Streisand singing the theme song. Yes, I like hers better than either the movie's versions (Cilla Black's or Cher's), deal with me.

Did you know that the theme song by Burt Bacharach was meant to be sung by Dionne Warwick but was replaced last minute by Cher? Ironically, Warwick's version was better received. Not a lot of people know that... (lol)

I am very sorry to say that Burt Bacharach is to my generation the Mr Elevator Song Guy. It's very sad but very true. Every single elevator I enter I find myself listening to this great composer being murdered. His legacy is being transformed in mind-controlling ambiance noise maker. We actually recognize and respond to his music in a fashion: it's like when you hear Fur Elise on the phone and you know you will be on hold for awhile.




By now you must be wondering, what's it all about Laura? Is this a blog on movie reviews? - because it seems it's all you write about. Are you ever going to write about your life? Med school subjects? Law school subjects? Books? And why do you write most of your posts in English? Alas, you've noticed, uh? English is the universal language of the internet and I want to lure more people into reading and responding to my posts. Besides, I have a couple of friends and family overseas that I hope will check this out from time to time. As for what I'll be writing here, my interests are pretty solid: literature, movies, music and oh so much more. Bottom line, I want to write and have people read me. Is it just a tad narcissistic of me?

So, don't be shy, leave a comment, recommend a good book/movie, bash my movie reviews and tell me I wasn't born under a rhyming planet. I'll leave you with a bit of Alfie now. ^^



No comments:

Post a Comment