Tuesday 14 December 2010

When you lose perspective


Imagine that you have to make a choice. The choice is simple. It is between something right and something wrong. Standing up for something you believe in against someone or something that threatens it. It is, after all, a pretty obvious choice, am I right? Well, not really. Choice making is never easy; intentions that are paving the roads to hell and heaven are the same. One misstep and you end up going way under to where you thought you would end up retiring to. 

Then, you ask me, how do we deal with such a complex and ominous reality? When do we make a stand? And where should we stand? I, like many of you, have to confess that am still figuring it all out. Probably, it will be an eternally ongoing life project. One that will cost me sweat, tears and blood. But one that I am never going to walk away from.

I had a recent experience that may have cost me more that I was willing to pay. True friendships are hard to come by. Perhaps I handled it the wrong way - no, I am sure I handled it the wrong way. But throughout it all, when all was said and done, I stood by what I believed in. I would have stood by my friend as well, but this friend had enough already. It's only fair. We decide what is enough for us in life and when is time to walk away. This power, dearest, no one can take away from you.

Missteps and mishaps later, I sat down with the threat, one of the most beloved persons to me. It would be so easy to take sides if sides weren't held by the people I adore the most in life. And we are all so right. And oh, all so wrong. Because I am selfish. And she is hurtful. And which came first, the egg or the chicken? But don't they love each other in the end? They do when I tell the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment